People have jokingly accused me of being crazy. What they don’t know is that they are right on. You have to be just half a bubble off of level to volunteer for this job. But to add babysitting to the mix? Yeah, that’s nuts.

Sort of. I watch a one year old while her mom works. The kids get a chance to play with a baby, I get my baby fix, and it’s all good. I sort of expected it to be harder… I remember when my oldest was a baby, and EVERYTHING was hard. Even going to the bathroom. Could I put her down without danger? What if she CRIED? Eleven kids later, I think I can safely add the title “Professional Mom” to my resume. I know it’s ok for babies to cry. I have an eagle eye for chokable objects. My Mom-radar functions quite well, and I learned a long time ago to trust that mysterious yet indispensable tool: intuition. Babies and kids need basic things; love, food, rest, safety, and boundaries. And with the eager “big brothers” and “big sisters”, it will be a miracle if this kid ever learns to walk. 

One thing I did forget… and that is how the pace of life has to change with a baby. I have to allow sooo much more time to do ANYTHING. It is probably a good change. Another ball to juggle, another piece to the already mind breaking logistical puzzle, but my days seem much slower. Maybe because I sneak a nap when the baby does…??? Another survival trick I learned a while ago.

Managing a bunch of kids when you have older ones isn’t all that insane, really. Not like when they were little and needed ME every minute. We just traded that intense season for another one… teens and tweens. Give me baby giggles and even screams over a suddenly “mature” offspring who knows more than I do about everything any day. But that is another post- right now I have a baby to enjoy.


3 thoughts on “Certifiable

  1. Thank God every morning when you get up that you have something to do that day which must be done, whether you like it or not. Being forced to work, and forced to do your best, will breed in you temperance and self-control, diligence and strength of will, cheerfulness and contentment, and a hundred virtues which the idle will never know……by Charles Kingsley
    From the book “First Thing Every Morning”, by Lewis Timberlake
    I think you must have this down pat!……JK

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Getting from Alabama to Oklahoma to Grandma’s Oak in Texas
    With 2 Mules, 2 Horses & 10 Kids

    John Henry Foster was born on 8/29/1873 in New Hope, Alabama, to Nathaniel Foster & Sarah Senior.
    Hortense Eugenia Riggins was born on 2/15/1878 in Marshall County, Alabama, to Willis Preston Riggins & Molly Vaughn Riggins.
    On March 3, 1895 Hortense Eugenia Riggins married John Henry Foster. They were united in marriage in the presence of T.J. Anderson & Emma Anderson. Emma is the sister of Molly Riggins, the mother of Hortense Eugenia Riggins.
    In Alabama five children were born.

    Virgie, born 2/14/1896.
    Callan, born 3/30/1897.
    Joseph Nace, born 8/19/1898.
    Harvey Dee, born 5/20/1900.
    Talmage, born 5/14/1902.

    In J.A. Thomason’s book, General History of Marshall County Alabama, it was written that John Henry Foster carried the Mail on foot from Diamond to Red Hill. They most likely lived near two very small towns.
    In the Fall of 1905 John Henry and his family along with Molly Riggins, the mother of Hortense, left Alabama for Texas. A life long story is told that Molly Riggins, was half Cherokee Indian and they were going to Oklahoma for free land for the Indians. Everyone in the Foster family believed they were part American Indian. In 1992 a Granddaughter of Molly Riggins, Mrs. Elva Yokely of Marshall County Alabama, told us that Molly saw an Indian at a carnival or circus and he said that she looked like Indian. Molly believed it and the story went on. There could still be Indian blood in the Vaughn family, but at this time we have not found it. Mrs. Yokely did tell us that Molly had lived in Texas when Hortense Eugenia was about 3 years old, and that a child was born there and died in infancy. Molly said the child was buried in Bowie, Montaque County, Texas. We believe Molly went with John Henry & Hortense to Texas, to go back to where the child was buried and where she once lived.
    In Montaque, County, Texas, Albert Lee, “Pete”, the sixth child was born on 5/12/1906. Shortly after his birth Molly went back to Alabama and John Henry and his family went on to Oklahoma.
    In Oklahoma four children were born.

    Samuel Lloyd born in Comanche, Okla. on 9/7/1908. “Shorty”
    David Delmer born in Bryan County, Okla. on 8/19/1911. “Red”
    Lera Mae born in Bryan County, Okla. on 5/11/1913. “Tootsey”
    Elmer Thomas born in Cotton County, Okla. on 9/12/1915. “Coodnany”

    Lera Mae wrote that in Temple, Oklahoma Albert (Pete) must have been 14 or 15 years old, we went to school in a little country school called “Stroud school”, and walked 3 or 4 miles to school. Pete was the first child in what my mother called her second family, there was a span of 4 years between the first 5 children and the second 5.
    Sometime in 1922 John Henry sold everything in Oklahoma and kept only 2 covered wagons and 2 horses and 2 mules. In the fall of 1922, John Henry and wife Hortense and the last five of the ten children came to Texas in the two covered wagons. A picture was taken of the two wagons, with John Henry and Hortense standing by the wagons. The children are in the wagons, along with the dog Carlo.
    John Henry had asthma and was headed for dry air and a warm climate. They were going to Del Rio to farm in Texas. Once in Texas they were told that Del Rio was for goats, not farming. At this time they were shown an ad in a magazine, about land for sale in Rock Island. The railroad was going thru Rock Island and was promoting land sales. At the time the railroad was given land to start towns along its route, and advertised the land at Rock Island as the land of milk and honey. Throw your seeds on the ground and watch them grow. Lera Mae said that once they got to Rock Island, Hortense would not stay, she did not like it. They started for Columbus and arrived on the Colorado River at Beason’s Crossing on Thanksgiving day. It took them six weeks or closer to two months to get from Oklahoma to Columbus. They camped at the Park on the river until they found a place to rent and farm.
    In 1923 the first year’s crops were good and they made a good crop of cotton. They farmed on E.H. Hightowers place and picked the first bale of cotton on August 14. The lint in the bale weighed 575 pounds, for a net price of $145.19. The ginning and wrapping cost was $6.47 and the price of seed was $15.30 per ton. John Henry made $110.51 on that first bale of cotton. It took 10 days for John Henry to pick his second bale. In 1924 they had a very good crop and baled 40 bales of cotton.
    The year or two they stayed in Columbus, Pete, Lloyd, David, and Lera Mae went to a one room school house on the Brant place.
    After two years in Columbus they moved to Altair and farmed 250 acres of land near the Tait Ranch. Pete got a job at the gravel pit in Eagle Lake and paid for the farm that John Henry & Hortense had bought in Altair. The farm was sold or traded for the house that John Henry bought in Columbus on Hwy.90 by the old oak tree, “Grandma’s Oak”, around 1934.

    John Henry died on August 12, 1937.
    Hortense lived at the Oak tree till about 1947 or 1948 the place was sold to the Necker Family and Hortense moved to Jones street near Elmer.
    Hortense passed away on 12/19/1958.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s